Congratulations on your new braces! Good dental hygiene is critical to your health and Dr. Bryn Cooper wants you to know about products that help with braces care and that will keep your smile bright. That’s why she sent you home with a braces care package including a few of her favorite goodies to help out. If you’re looking for more products approved by Dr. Bryn Cooper, check these out:
Braces care means keeping your wires and brackets clean.
- These Proxabrush cleaners from G-U-M can help clean in places where normal brushing is tough. You can also find them on Amazon. They come in a variety of sizes, from Tight to Moderate to Wide, so if one size isn’t working well for you, make sure to try another until you find one that works for you.
- If you prefer to be a bit more environmentally conscious, like we do at Cooper Orthdontics, this Proxabrush handle is reusable with Wide refill G-U-M brush heads (also available in Tight and Moderate) and will help keep your braces and wires clean. They’re just like the cleaners above, but will keep you from filling up your trash. Be sure to check Amazon for the best price and size options.
Practice flossing as part of your braces care regimen.
Good dental hygiene includes regular flossing and that’s true even if you’re sporting a new set of braces. There are lots of different ways to clean between your teeth, so make sure to find one that you like.
- The Sonicare AirFloss is the best option to clean between your pearly whites, which is why Dr. Cooper sent you home with one. It only takes 30 seconds to knock plaque off your teeth with small puffs of water and air. Flossing can be fun!
- If you’re not at home, these PlatypusCo Orthodontic Flossers, available at Amazon and Walgreens, are a great backup when you can’t use your AirFloss. Plackers Orthopick Dental Flossers are another great option. They’re also available on Amazon and Walgreens. Both of these options make it easier to work around the wire and get into any tough to reach spots.
- If you prefer traditional floss over the other options, give Oral-B Super Floss a shot. Check Walgreens for Super Floss if you need it today or visit Amazon for potential deals if you can wait for a bit. Be sure to take your time getting used to flossing. The reward is a clean and beautiful and straight smile in just a few months.
- G-U-M’s Eez-Thru Floss Threaders can also help you get floss in and around your braces. So if you have a bunch of extra floss sitting in your bathroom drawers that you don’t want to go to waste, use the Floss Threaders to make the process easier.
Brushing is a must!
Obviously, brushing is always critical to keep those teeth pearly white. Dr. Cooper provides Philips Sonicare DiamondClean toothbrushes to make brushing easy, but if you prefer a manual toothbrush, a soft bristled toothbrush is best. They’re available in Amethyst, Pink, Black, and White, so be sure to get your favorite color. And they come with an awesome cup to keep the bathroom clean and your brush charged!
Along with brushing, Dr. Cooper recommends some great toothpaste to pair with your new Sonicare DiamondClean toothbrush. Her favorite toothpaste is PlaqueHD Anticavity Toothpaste. PlaqueHD will show you where you need to brush to get everything clean. You can find it on Amazon.
Get comfortable with your braces.
If your new braces are bothering you, Dr. Bryn Cooper recommends some options to keep the irritation to a minimum.
- Gishy Goo! is a great option for relief from irritating brackets. It comes in a variety of colors, including an inconspicuous tooth-colored option, and should stick to your braces for hours of comfort, even while drinking.
- G-U-M OrthoWax, also available at Amazon, includes Vitamin E and aloe vera to help soothe irritated gums.